Wednesday, May 9, 2018

International Fake Journal Month Wrap Up

This was my first year participating in International Fake Journal Month.  Over the past few years I have been become increasingly interested in researching my family history, so for IFJM I transported myself to a very small village in the Cotswalds, England, where many of my ancestors originated.  I hoped to learn more about the area and what life is like there now.

I prepared my fake journal by gelli printing some wild backgrounds.  In this pretend life I decided to take way more risks in my journal, for better or for worse.  Painting in thick gouache was another thing I wanted to try.

I met my initial goals and also learned a whole lot more.
  • Towards the end of the second week I woke up screaming, "I MISS MY WHITE SPACE!"  From past experience, I think it may be that I need some variety in my journaling practice, rather than a love of blank white pages.  This is worth testing.
  • I loved working in a single, chronological journal.
  • Drawing in black on loose paper is a great way to add a drawing to those crazy, colored backgrounds I sometimes feel compelled to paint.  The value contrast was great.
  • However, I need to allow space for the additional thickness added by all of this collage in the book.
  • Because not all prints are successful, I prefer gelli printing on loose sheets rather than directly into a journal.
  • It is possible to schedule time every day even in a busier than normal month.  In other income tax seasons I've done a lot less art than I did this year!
  • I found lots of ways to add interesting color and unify a pre-painted page.  I used paper, napkins, pigment ink pads, stamping, and water-based markers as well as acrylic paint and gouache.
I'm taking all of these insights forward into my journaling practice.  I'm going to stick to one journal at a time, for now one with all white pages. LOL 


No comments: