Saturday, September 15, 2018

Sketch Now, Think Later


I'd be flattering myself to think that when Mike Yoshiaki Daikubara wrote Sketch Now, Think Later, he was thinking about me.  However, he does seem to sum up many of my natural tendencies when it comes to urban sketching.  I'm usually critical of my tendency to start sketching immediately, without thinking or planning or using a pencil to lay out big shapes; if I had been tempted to write a book like this it might have been called How Not to Sketch in 1 Easy Lesson.  How nice to find a book that tells me how to do what I do better!

Daikubara's book is subtitled:  Jump Into Urban Sketching with Limited Time, Tools, and Techniques.  (My book might be subtitled:  How Impatient People Sketch.)  My method right now is an extreme example of Daikubara's.  Not only do I start straight in with pen without thinking, but I rarely add color or text when I'm out.   Later, when all the errands are run and the chores are done, I finish the page with color, titles and descriptions.  Maybe I can do this after all! 

No comments: