Friday, November 2, 2018

Journal Covers


7" x 7" Journal Cover

I took advantage of a sunny day recently to spray a large sheet of watercolour paper with watercolour ink.  I used a piece of it to make my current journal, shown above.  I still have some left to use in the future.

I'm always on the lookout for fun ways to decorate paper, and last month's Westcoast Calligraphy Society meeting provided some new inspiration.  Someone shared an idea that she learned at the recent Seattletters Conference.  Eager to try this out, I spent last Saturday "auditioning" colours:


I did these on cardstock with some Artist Loft watercolours (that perform a little more like gouache than watercolour), and some Laurentian metallic watercolours.


 I'll buy some large sheets of Canson Mi Teintes paper to do the final version.


 Each one has four layers.


I took some "in progress" pictures.  First, I wrote Roman Capitals with a 1/2" flat brush, covering the cardstock.  I let this first layer dry, rotated the paper 90 degrees and then wrote in a different colour.  Below, you can see the first two layers of the green sample.  The first layer was a metallic green, the second layer bronze.


The third layer is white:


The final layer was black:





No comments: