Friday, June 28, 2019

Thoughts on #30x30DirectWatercolor2019


Someone in the #30x30DirectWatercolor2019 Facebook group asked, "As we head into the final week of this exercise, what, if anything, has everybody learned about their painting, their process, their work?"

I might have learned that 30 day challenges are not for me. At least, not this kind of focused challenge.  I like to bounce around between media too much, I guess. I keep wanting to draw in pencil crayon when I'm "supposed" to be painting. This was supposed to be fun, right?

Someone else agreed with my thoughts, adding that sometimes these challenges can hinder creativity rather than help it.

I knew going into this challenge that I might not stick with it for 30 days.  I've probably done 30 direct watercolor paintings, because one day I did about 15 (small) chairs before realizing that chairs are not the greatest subject for wet on wet.  (OK, I'm a slow learner.)  I guess it depends how you count to 30.

One night recently, I looked out the window and saw a beautiful sunset.  I was moved to paint the journal page you see above.  I considered it a fail, but later realized that this is exactly the kind of "whim" that Joanne Sharpe would add a quotation to and post on Instagram.  So, maybe I didn't "fail" at #30x30DirectWatercolor2019, I just made it my own.

Note to self:  Lighten up!

No comments: