Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Making Prints

 


I didn't think my Epson WorkForce Brother MFC-J1012DW inkjet printer would be up to the task, but I was wrong.  I'm very pleased with how this print of one of my original watercolours turned out as a card.  I tried 4 x 6 paper in and 3.5 x 5 in paper

October 21, 2023 - Edited for new computer with Windows 11  
Feb  1 & 7, 2024 - Edited for new Brother Printer :

I printed the photo using Picasa Photos onto white cardstock, choosing to print a 3 x 4 inch photo.  My printer settings were:  the following settings:
  • Orientation:  Landscape
  • Paper Tray:  Cassette  Main
  • Paper Size:  Japan L Photo 3.5 x 5 in  4 x 6 or 3.5 x 5
  • Paper Type:  Photo Paper (4 x 6) or plain paper (3.5 x 5)
  • Photo Size:  3.5 x 5 in
  • Paper Margins:  Normal
  • Fit:  Shrink to Fit
  • More Settings:
    • Quality:  High
    • Borderless:  On
After printing, I trimmed the picture down to 3.5 x 4.5 inches.  I mounted the photo onto the card using foam tape, but I could also play with colored mats.

October 21, 2023 - While I was experimenting, I tested two different cardstocks.  Recollections (from Michaels) is slightly heavier cardstock but the print quality was pretty similar.

February 1, 2024 - I used inexpensive Forever in Time Matte Inkjet Photo Paper and it worked great.  I haven't tried any cardstock yet.  I think I may have printed on the wrong, less glossy side, but that may have been a good think.  I had put a note on the paper box that the ink pooled oddly when I tried it with my Epson printer.  The final output was more vivid and finer detailed than the cardstock I had tried before.  (Feb 7 I tried the glossier side and I found the ink pooled.  So, this paper can be used, but print on the wrong side!)

When loading the paper into the new printer, I use the 4 x 6 horizontal print guide but simply make the vertical guides a little narrower to fit 3.5 x 5 paper. 

Print quality, in order of highest, although all good:
  1. Wrong side of Forever in Time Matte Inkjet Photo Paper
  2. Cardstock Dianne sent me for colouring with Copic markers
  3. Regular cardstock (Staples or Recollections)

No comments: