Wednesday, September 22, 2021

r/drawstreetview on reddit

 

Amsterdam, inspired by Google Street View


Before September dawned, I didn't know much about reddit.  Maybe I had my head in the social media sand, but Instagram, Facebook and blogs were enough for me.

I started to notice reddit coming up in my Google searches, and then I read Reddit 101, a blog post by Vancouver urban sketcher "The Sneaky Artist".  As I read, I became increasingly convinced that reddit might be social media for people who are interested in ideas.  I have been accused of "thinking too much", so I thought I would give it a try.

I started on reddit by subscribing to the r/urbansketchers community.  I was only browsing for 5 minutes when I saw a post by someone starting a new community based on an an idea that I have been thinking a lot about, virtual urban sketching.

Reddit user u/CptTimWhiskersTheFox posted the following about his new community:

If you're like me you'd like to get out and do more sketching around the world but are limited due to funds, time, or any other reason, perhaps you'd be interested in participating in the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/drawstreetview/ that I've just created.

The idea behind it is to post an image/place every (approximately) two weeks and members can draw it in their own style and share with the rest of the community. It could be a good means of meeting other sketchers or sharing techniques and inspiration.

I've posted a subject for the first session and will be working on my own interpretation! I would love to see other's take on it!

Members can also share their own subjects and adventures in the drawing-street-view world; posts using it as a medium pop up enough on other subreddits that it would nice to have our own community.

My user name on reddit is "love-to-learn-things", and I'm learning about reddit, Google Street View and sketching by participating so far.

No comments: