Friday, April 30, 2010

Tissue Paper - Faux Washi

Does anybody else have a large box/bag of white tissue paper from gifts or clothing purchases that they can't bear to throw away?  I see a few hands have gone up among you crafters.

I've been looking for something to do with this stuff for years, and suddenly my friends (real live and Internet) have been answering the call.

First, Heather at the stamp club showed us how to make fake washi paper:

Faux Washi

This is made by dropping random drops of dye re-inker on wet tissue paper (spray with water) and moving the colour around with a soft paintbrush.  A second sheet of tissue can be laid down to absorb some of the moisture and colour.   After drying, you bond the tissue to freezer paper and decorate with stamps.  (The freezer paper gives it a nice stable weight for further craft handling.)

I tried a similar thing with watercolour sprays and it also worked well.  Thanks, Heather!

I'll post another tissue paper technique soon!

2 comments:

okanagan_spirit said...

That tissue paper technique looks so lovely, I'll have to try that.
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

Sandie R said...

What a great background look and a neat technique. Tissue paper gets recycled many times over in this house but I think I still have some white around. Did you use white freezer paper and if so where did you manage to find it.