Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Persistent or Stupid?


Refusing to give up, I tried two more tests on Canson XL watercolour paper.  I washed the glass I have been using in case contaminants were my problem and I used more fresh water to wet the back surface of the paper.  The first painting I transferred from the glass as soon as it began sticking, but this time I noticed that the layers of the paper were actually starting to separate.

For the second one I prepared the paper in the same way but I taped it to a board instead of glass.  It worked absolutely fine with no sticking.


Just in case I had not left the paper on long enough, I took a very small scrap of XL, wet both sides, taped it to the glass and left it over night.  The paper stuck and separated.

Conclusion:  Paper production often changes over time.  My XL paper is a few years old, so other artists may not experience the same thing I did.   But I will not be using XL paper for painting with lots of water again. 



No comments: