Sunday, April 5, 2020

Stencil with Inktense Blocks


Mostly people use acrylic paint with stencils.  Acrylic paint is not my favorite medium - it is too messy for my liking.  I love the look of the mixed media layers, though, and I have recently found that you can do the same thing with Inktense Blocks.

When I say "the same thing", you must appreciate that one of the appeals of acrylic paint for mixed media techniques like stenciling is that acrylic paint dries permanent.  When you apply another wet layer over top, the paint does not reactivate.  (Contrast that with watercolors, for example).  Inktense pencils or blocks are also permanent once dry.

Here I used punchinella, or sequin waste, as a stencil to put the yellow dots on the page.  I applied it with a damp cosmetic sponge, which I stroked over the block to pick up the pigment.  When this layer was dry I drew and painted over top.

Fun, fun, fun!

No comments: