Sunday, August 11, 2019

Changing Things Up


Lesson Two in Find Your Joy was about trying something new.  We were to use new tools and colours we don't normally use on a familiar subject.  "Notice what you enjoy and what you don't", Louise instructed.

I used my 2 least favorite colours, purple and orange, but couldn't resist adding ochre and grey. I used a fan brush and a flat brush.  (I usually use rounds).  I found a stick in my desk drawer with 2 different ends. 

I enjoyed everything about doing this, although the feeling was different than when I worked wet on wet in Lesson One.    I felt very calm and peaceful doing this.  (Lesson One was joyful and exuberant.) 

I'm usually impatient and uninterested with this level of detail, but I found the fan brush fascinating and fun.  And I wanted to make tick marks with the stick over and over. It was all like some kind of meditation.  

I even enjoyed the colours.  I had to dive into a set of pan watercolors to find an orange and a purple, but these colours might find their way onto my shopping list.  If I'm paying attention to what I enjoy and what I don't, I would have to say that I don't enjoy mixing large quantities of paint colours.  I never mix enough and then it is hard to match.

No comments: